Thursday, June 14, 2012

THE CULT OF ISIS AND OSIRIS


"The Laments of Isis and Nephthys."
Berlin Papyrus 1425

(Taken from "The Wisdom of the East Series" - "The Burden of Isis")

 

 


Invocation of Isis

Come to thy Temple, come to thy Temple, O An!
Come to thy Temple, for thine enemies are not!
Come to thy Temple!
Lo I, thy sister, love thee - do not thou depart from me!
Behold Hunnu, the beautiful one!
Come to thy Temple immediately - come to thy Temple
immediately! Behold thou my heart which grieveth for thee;
Behold me seeking for thee - I am searching for thee
to behold thee!
Lo, I am prevented from beholding thee -
I am prevented from beholding thee, O An!
It is blessed to behold thee - come to the one who loveth thee!
Come to the one who loveth thee, O thou who art beautiful,
Un-Nefer, dead.
Come to thy sister - come to thy wife
Come to thy wife, O thou who makest the heart to rest.
I, thy sister, born of thy mother, go about to every
temple of thine
Yet thou comest not forth to me;
Gods, and men before the face of the gods, are weeping
For thee at the same time, when they behold me!
Lo, I invoke thee with wailing that reacheth high as heaven -
Yet thou hearest not my voice. Lo I, thy sister, I love thee
More than all the Earth -
And thou lovest not another as thou dost thy sister -
Surely thou lovest not another as thou dost thy sister!

Remarks:
An is the moon god form of Osiris. 
Hunnu a sun god form of Osiris.
Un-Nefer a title of Osiris.
Osiris is so named because he is the dispenser of benefits, a form of the 
Absolute; one Egyptian dogma makes Osiris to be Hes-iri, which would seem 
to mean the "seat of Isis." (Iamblichus, "The Egyptian Mysteries").


No comments:

Post a Comment